Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Assessing a machine with 2 NICs

From: Mark Owen <mr.markowen () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:07:58 -0400

On 9 Sep 2005 00:09:12 -0000, barcajax () gmail com <barcajax () gmail com> wrote:
Lets say we have a machine running critical business applications connected to the >enterprise network on 2 NICs.
From an assessment/audit point of view, is it necessary to >scan both NICs using assessment tools like NMap and
Nessus? Will both scan results >produce the same findings (as in same ports and services open)?

Different NICs could be running different services.  If I have IIS or
Apache running on a box, I could configure it to use only one NIC or
both NICs.  If that is the case then each NIC will return different
results.

Does the OS or applications influence the detection of ports/services on different NICs on >the same physical machine?

Not likely by default, but you never know.  A default install of
Windows or GNU/Linux will not be influenced by a scan.  However, it is
possible to install applications that will detect a scan and react to
scans, therefore giving the scans inaccurate information.
Mark Owen

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831