Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Network Security Assessment - 2nd edition

From: doug () securityfocus com, csr-group () securityfocus com, com () securityfocus com
Date: 15 Nov 2005 15:22:53 -0000

Chris;

Might I suggest as an update to your Windows Chapter, a section on Active Directory and using AD tools such as dsquery,
dsget, enumprop,
dnscmd, nltest, & ntdsutil to query AD servers for information.  These tools can be found in the various Microsoft
Support/Resource Kits and
also on Win2003 servers.

I have found these tools extremely useful during assessments, especially when a network is blocking typical netbios
ports.  Most of these tools
run their queries over LDAP (TCP/389).

  Some of the tools and queries require privilege, some will work with either a Null session or without any connection
at all.  The Active
Directory Cookbook has more information on these tools.

One query that requires no authentication is:
c:\>enumprop "LDAP://RootDSE"

I look forward to your updated book.

Sincerely,

Douglas Ford
---------------------
CSRgroup LLC
www.csr-group.com

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831