Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Oracle hash-list?

From: Pieter Danhieux <pdanhieux () easynet be>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:51:21 +0100

Hi Jeroen,

are you aware that the hashes stored in the oracle database not really use a salt (which is bad), but they do use the username as a differentiating factor. This means that the hash output depends on the password AND the username. Using pre-computed hashes will be difficult to do an offline attack, because you need a precomputed hash of all common passwords and all common usernames. That is why you only can find 'online' passwords crackers for oracle. As far as I am aware, there is no opensource offline password cracker, although there are some commercial tools which claim to have cracked the encryption used and can do offline cracking.

my 2 cents ...
--
Pieter Danhieux, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH