Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: SQL injection

From: Faiz Ahmad Shuja <faiz () honeynet org pk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:55:40 +0500

Whilst I agree with the notion that bad coding is the main thing to avoid
as afar as SQL Injections are concerned (or any other vulnerability for
that matter), there is a question that begs to be answered. For "Service
Providers" (emphasis supplied), providing secure hosting infrastructure,
can only be in my opinion on the Layer 2/3 front. On the Application Layer
(Layers 4-7) it is very hard for a service provider to provide secure
solutions to code for which we have no "a priori" knowledge.

Well, that's the reason some of the MSPs offer in-depth application
penetration testing to their clients with secure hosting. They regularly
audit their systems and applications for maximum security.

At a certain point, you have to stop relying on automation (i.e. firewalls,
ids, ips, etc) and start using human eyes to catch anomalies.

Regards,
Faiz