Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: ssh mitm at the router

From: Terry Vernon <tvernon24 () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:43:07 -0500

Quoted from my own lips:

gre_relay runs only in offensive mode which disables kernel routing which breaks the router.

Problem not solved.

Terry Vernon
CTO
Sprite Technologies

Andres Riancho wrote:

Quoted from ettercap documentation:

gre_relay
   This plugin can be used to sniff GRE-redirected remote traffic. The
   basic idea is to create a GRE tunnel that sends all the traffic on a
   router interface to the ettercap machine. The plugin will send back
   the GRE packets to the router, after ettercap "manipulation" (you
   can use "active" plugins such as smb_down, ssh decryption, filters,
   etc... on redirected traffic) It needs a "fake" host where the
   traffic has to be redirected to (to avoid kernel's responses). The
   "fake" IP will be the tunnel endpoint. Gre_relay plugin will
   impersonate the "fake" host. To find an unused IP address for the
   "fake" host you can use find_ip plugin.   Based on the original
   Tunnelx technique by Anthony C. Zboralski published in
   http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=56&a=10 by HERT.

When you create a GRE tunnel , you can redirect specific traffic. So, your problem is solved.

Terry Vernon wrote:

We have a client who wants to intercept ssh and ssl transmissions and sniff them going across their routers on their WAN. I've looked at ettercap, sshmitm, and ssharp and neither are suitable for this job. Is there anything out there that proxies these encrypted protocols and does a mitm without arp poisoning?

Terry Vernon
CTO
Sprite Technologies