Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Layer 2 Trace

From: "Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro)" <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:35:22 -0500

An L3 traceroute gives you a very good idea of which L2 devices are in
the path between source and destination - if it does L3, has to do L2
(and L1 ;))

The question is: what are you trying to achieve? What additional
information would you get from a L2 traceroute that you cannot obtain
from an L3 traceroute + additional tools to identify the specific L3
device?

Agreed: your packet *might be* traversing one or more
switches/bridges/translational bridges which would be transparent to
your L3 traceroute.

Cisco does implement an L2 traceroute feature - but many preconditions
have to be met. Check:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/l
2trace.htm

A generic L2 traceroute looks to me like a difficult thing to do.

Dario