Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Fingerprinting Firewall

From: "Byron L. Sonne" <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:13:23 -0400

We all know that, we can identify firewall using various  methods and tools like "firewalk".
Is there any method or tool available which will remotely fingerprint and enumerate rule
> base configured on the firewall?

Well, more accurately put firewalk does not identify firewalls as much as it enumerates what kind of traffic will be passed as well as allowing you to figure out ACLs in use.

Generally speaking I don't think you'll be able to come up with something along the lines of nmap that will allow you to determine what kind of firewall is in place. Certainly not reliably for all firewalls and in all situations; there's just to much variability in how rules can be configured or traffic scrubbed.

What I do think is possible is the creation of a tool that will narrow the field down to a group of firewalls.

However, I suppose that for peculiar situations, either from grievous design error or peculiar configurations, certain firewalls might stick out like a sore thumb. But my suspicions are that would be rare.