Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Multiple IP on the same server howo to idenfity

From: "Andrew A. Vladimirov" <mlists () arhont com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 01:34:56 +0100

Yonatan Bokovza wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: NetExpress [mailto:NetExpress () infogroup it]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 13:13 To: pen-test () securityfocus org
Subject: Multiple IP on the same server howo to idenfity

Hi, the problem is, if I am doing a penetration test from internte to many servers, probably there should be some IP ont the same server o network adapter like load balancer. In a report, and to avoid false positive, should be usefull to identify which IPs are on the same server, but how? If I should be in the internal network I am testing I'll use arp to find the MAC address of each IP and I should have solved, but from Internet I cannot use arp.

From Internet I could use the banner, but this is not sure, I could have more then one application server on the same server with n-IP on application server A and m-IP on the application server B getting the banner should not be the right choise especialy with proxy.

Any idea?

You could use the TCP Timestamp option to see the uptime of both
servers. If it is similar enough, there is a good chance it is the same
server. (unless the loadbalancer changes the Timestamp...)
See section 3.2 here:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1323.html

Regards,
Yonatan Bokovza
IT Security Consultant
Xpert Systems

Yep, TCP timestamps, TCP sequence numbers and IP ID's. Plus, of course, OS fingerprinting and banner grabbing. ISNprober, hping2, nmap and both xprobes will do the job.

Cheers,
Andrew