Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: USB delivered attacks

From: "randori _/_" <randori82 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:51:31 +0000

I have been unable to get any autorun to come up at all from my USB drives. I am able though, to change the icon of the drive though (thank God for that!). Does anyone know how to access the onboard drivers for these drives? I wondering if possibly inserting the previously mentioned autorun driver for CD autorunning and tweaking it a bit to allow for the USB.

Basically, the biggest security risk I see is being able to throw something onto a locked desktop and be able to remove information while it is locked. Many times people will leave their comptuer unnattended but locked. If this is possible, obviously autorun should be disabled, but users should also be notified to log off, just not lock their desktops.

Anyone able to get autorun working on their USB? If so, would you mind sending the guts of the autorun.inf?

Thanks in advance

"If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril."
-Sun Tzu

[randori]
XXXXXXX