Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: RF code scanners

From: Mister Coffee <live4java () stormcenter net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:02:47 -0700

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 08:58:38AM -0500, Ng, Kenneth (US) wrote:
Safe is tricky.  Electronic door locks are supposed to fail open in case of
fire or power failure.

That depends on the specific type of lock.  Yes, many of them do fail-unlocked in case of power failure.  But many of
them, particularly in Exterior Facing situations will fail locked, but have a physical "safety bar" release on the
inside.  That solves the safety needs.

Garage doors, gates, etc, are a different animal.  Most electric garage doors I've encountered (and gates) can't be
opened during a powerfailure without either physically forcing the device, or entering the garage and pulling a manual
release lever.

My curiosity here isn't how they'll behave in the case of power outage, but what happens when you overload the
receiver's front end with 100+ * normal signal.  Do they blow chunks and open?  Simply reset and go silent for a while?
 Or make a premature trip to Silicon Heaven.

Cheers,
L4J