Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: How to pick the right company for penetration testing?

From: wjnorth <wjnorth () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:04:22 -0800

Good catch there. In my opinion one can't rely on a single vulnerability scanner, which is why I typically use 2 or 3, Nessus for open source then some foo-foo commercial tool to validate and invalidate findings. Additionally, depending on what you are testing, there are a ton of application level scanners for Database, Web, App and such the like. There is no "leader" in any area, at most each tool validates the other, I've yet to rely solely on a single tool as the end-all-solution.

-Wes
Sr. Information Security Engineer