Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: hardware vs. john the ripper - fun

From: Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:33:13 -0500

Are thoses specs right? Dual 1.4 g4's getting almost 17k cps? Is this right?
Its almost 3x a 3.2ghz p4. I It would be interesting to see what a dual g5
2ghz would get if a asm core was written for it.

Especially since, as I understand it, the Gx/PPC line does honest-to-goodness real vector processing (is that the altivec stuff?) whereas the x86 arch only approximates it using the MMX instruction set, and not as well either. Not sure what kinda hassles would be added for assembly and ML in order to take advantage of the Mac CPUs special abilities.

I suppose that is why Macs are rather nicer at high end video and audio tasks but whether that same advantage could be applied to crypto I'm not sure. I would appreciate a good schooling on this, if anyone knows firsthand or has some good, relevant links.

If I ever get rich, my next, big treat will be a dual G5 running some kind of free 'nix.

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.