Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Which software requires the Messenger Service?

From: "Nestor L. Cabrera" <flex_1_1999 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:52:57 -0800 (PST)

I've disabled Messenger service on all my nodes
(Windows 2000 network with XP clients) and have
experienced no problems whatsoever. In addition, I
also run BackupExec 8.6 from Veritas. Now, if you have
any software configured to send an alert via the net
send then you will have problems. Otherwise, in my
experience I have not had any problems.

lo all,
I would like to compile a list of software which
relies on the Messenger Service for inter process
communication. I believe
some backup software packages due but i'm not
entirely >positive. Has anyone ever shut the service
off and had >other services
complain? Thanks a lot for your input and if I get
enough I will post a list of the packages on my site
sh0dan.org.
Thank you,
-wire
--
Visit Things From Another World for the best
comics, movies, toys, collectibles and more.

=====
Nestor L. Cabrera