Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: encrypting Autologon credentials?

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:43:37 -0500

I'm thinking that the general idea is that if someone's going to use
autologon in the first place, you're not throwing much of a speedbump up by
encrypting the password in the registry. If the registry is
network-accessible without authentication, the machine is pretty vulnerable;
if it's not, then the attacker needs access to the machine itself, and
again, the machine is already logged in and therefore pretty vulnerable.