Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: nessus exceptions

From: hellNbak <hellnbak () nmrc org>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 14:11:30 -0500 (CDT)

Would it not be much easier to capture the traffic and compare it to known
(generated in a controlled environment) Nessus scanning traffic?  There
will be signatures and it should be easy to spot.

You could even take this one step further and check if your favorite NIDS
will recognize the standard signatures generated by a Nessus scan as well
as other tools.  This would allow you to passively log the traffic and
allow the IDS rules to identify what has been pointed at your systems.

Personally, I like the first option as it removes the potential for silly
errors on an automated systems part.