Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: XPSP2 compatability

From: Ben <ben () thegeekzone com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:47:25 -0500

I have no problems using Ethereal on either of the two XP Pro machines I use. I've run Ethereal 0.10.5a and 0.10.6 with WinPcap 3.0. I cannot say anything in regards to Snort since it's not installed.

I have disabled the Windows firewall but don't know if that makes a difference. I'm running Kerio instead.

Ben

Anjin wrote:

Following up on the item from James, it also seems that XPSP2 is incompatible with WinPCAP. Both Snort and Ethereal fail with an identical error when XPSP2 is installed. Removing the patch solves the problem.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes are
guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction
with one of our expert instructors. Check out our Advanced Hacking course,
learn to write exploits and attack security infrastructure. Attend a course
taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing
experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an
Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/InfoSecInstitute_pen-test_040817