Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Evading Client-Certificate Authentication

From: Skip Carter <skip () taygeta com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:23:02 -0800

whilst in the middle of a Penetration Test I stumbled on a web server only
serving SSL and demanding the client to present
a certificate to identify himself.

Does anyone have an idea to further assess this server? Am I looking at a
mission impossible here maybe?

   Its likely that the server not only expects a certificate from the
client, but that it be signed by a PARTICULAR CA (maybe a local/private one).
You might need to figure out a way to get such a certificate (via social
engineering perhaps ?).

Skip

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skip () taygeta com