Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability scanners

From: Derrick Johnson <derrick_b_johnson () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:46:26 -0800 (PST)

We used Nessus quite extensively. I've actually been
in the business long enough where I've used ISS,
CyberCop, Nessus, Foundscan, and now Qualys.  When I
did IS Consulting, we'd run both ISS and CyberCop, or
either one along with Nessus, because there was a
chance one would find something the other didn't or
one would be able to go into more detail about what
was found and how to fix it.

Qualys definently has Foundscan beat in terms of
reporting.  However Foundscan definently has Qualys
beat in terms of speed.  With Foundscan, you can't
download the report.  You have to copy and paste it
into Word in order to alert the a system owner to a
vulnerability - if you don't want to provide them
access to the scanner.  One thing I like about Qualys
is that you can view individual system reports as the
scan is progressing, you don't have to wait until the
entire scan is done to view one system's problems.
Once a system has completed, you click on it's IP and
you have a report of that one system.  Comes in handy
for single system reports.

Qualys and Foundscan definently have Nessus beat in
terms of minimized false positives.  So many times
Nessus would report on a vulnerability only for the
system owner to report that the recommended patch had
already been applied, or that files Nessus was finding
were nowhere to be found on the system.  You can fix
this in Nessus by altering the signature code, whereas
you have to tell Foundstone and Qualys that a
particular finding is a false postive.  What they do
with that info, I have no idea.

Hope this helps

--Derrick

--- Michael Welch <mdwelch () sendsecure com> wrote:
About 4 months ago I performed a comparison of
Qualys, Foundscan, and
Vigilante.  They all have there good and bad
point's.  The nice things about
Qualys was that all you had to do is plug the
appliance into your network
and you were ready to go.  My concern was that
although your scan data was
transferred via https it was stored on another
companies network.  Being a
security professional I have a hard time allowing my
internal network
scanning results sitting on another's network.