Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Network Mapping/Discovery

From: Mathias Wegner <mwegner () cs oberlin edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:14:30 -0400

Yes. The usual network management software such as HP Openview's Network
Node Manager, Aprisma's Spectrum. Quite expensive, though. I have not
used Nagios [1] for network discovery in this respect but it just might
have a plugin to represent a network in the way you require. Nedi [2],

Another NMS option is OpenNMS.  I've never used it, but it is
HPOV/Spectrum like, and it does do auto-discovers.  One thing to note -
if you are using an NMS tool like this for pen-testing, they are not very
subtle in their network discoveries, and they'll end up logged
everywhere.  Also, for good maps using NMSes, you'll probably need
read-only community names, since the best maps use forwarding tables to
determine connections.

mathias