Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: login banners

From: "Bernie, CTA" <cta () hcsin net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:27:38 -0500

At first glance one would say that login banners are analogous
to someone putting a "do not trespass" sign out on their lawn.
However, there is a significant difference in that the person
attempting computer access could be using a legitimate auto
login program that prevents the user from seeing your banner.
Accordingly, I would imagine that a grounded legal argument
could be made to establish that the user was using an
automated tool and consequently in good faith did not know. In
my opinion, the weight of such an argument may be light but
effective in a civil litigation, it is probably sufficient to establish
reasonable doubt in a criminal prosecution.

From a security point of view, my practice is not to use
banners on systems that could be accessed via public
networks, as doing so alerts a would be attacker that there may
be something valuable awaiting within. In addition, I believe that
using banners also elevate potential risks of system finger
printing or exploitation of the login program. Conversely, I do
believe in using banners on internal systems which state
something like "Only authorized users may attempt or login to
this system. Be aware that unauthorized login or attempts are a
violation of XYZ Computer Security Policy, and consequently
you may be terminated from employment, and/or civilly or
criminally prosecuted."