Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: faster scans? (nmap)

From: Yann Berthier <Yann.Berthier () hsc fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:06:06 +0200

On Mon, 03 Jun 2002, Michael Starr wrote:

If all you're looking for is which hosts are up, you could try using
hping instead of nmap to do the initial scan -- then you could scan
only hosts that you know are there with Nmap.  I believe that hping
(haven't used it for a while, so check me on this) has an option to
use protocols other than icmp, so it can detect hosts that drop echo-

   Of course hping can do that :) Indeed it's a pretty effective
   scanner: for example
   #hping -S -p ++7 --fast <host>
   to do a SYN scan

   (not to say hping is more effective than nmap, in fact they are very
   complementary tools).

   Regards,

   - yann.

--
   Yann.Berthier () hsc fr -*- HSC -*- http://www.hsc.fr/

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/