Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: testing for IP address space leakage in NAT systems

From: Chris Keladis <Chris.Keladis () cmc cwo net au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 10:40:38 +1100

Hi Bob,

Alot of times misconfigured web servers return a "Content-Location" header which displays an internal IP..

Another good way is using things like epmapper, or BindViews rpctools, or AtStake's dcetest to query a (Win32) DCE epmapper.

Sometimes, you find things when looking through the HTML code, comments, maybe even some code to speak to any back-end servers.

Then there is trying to talk SNMP to the NAT device, which may even return the exact mappings if your lucky! :)

Other techniques may involve firewalking depending on how the victim border routers/firewalls are configured.

And something that just popped into my head is getting a HTTP server to return an error. Alot of times the errors are overly verbose, giving up an IP.

HTH,

Chris.