Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Cisco 2501 Router

From: "Greg" <greg () hoobie net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 12:47:17 -0000

This has come up a few times. If you have read/write SNMP access then
it's pretty simple.

You can set a new password, or update running config in any other way
using OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.53.x.x.x.x <file>

The x.x.x.x specifies a tftp server and file specifies a file to UPLOAD
to the router. This file could contain perhaps one line:
'enable secret password'
This then resets the Cisco enable password to 'password' within running
config so no reboot etc. is needed and yer existing config is untouched.

regards

Greg Jones