Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Auditing boxes with predictable IP Sqeuence(s)

From: "Reidy, Patrick" <Patrick.Reidy () veritect com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:52:45 -0500

TCP predictability has a few well known possibilities for exploit, not the
least of which is packet injection / hijacking.  There are a boat load of
tools out there, but I personally like Hunt.  The tool only works if you are
local and can actually sniff the traffic between a client and the targeted
server.  Of course if your target does not have any ports open...

As far as figuring out what the boxes are, there are a lot of ways to skin
that cat, might I suggest traffic analysis, if you have the Ethernet access
(meaning you can sniff).  Watch the traffic with TCPdump and if you see a
lot of UDP traffic going to a device and it's all encrypted you got a VPN
box, etc.