Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: resources for the pen-test team?

From: "Allen Harper" <harperaa () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:27:25 -0800

VMware makes all the difference in the world.  We have a lab with 10 boxes
or so, all with vmware, that way we can load many configurations and run
upwards of 50 virtual boxes at a time.  Rarely, will you hit the glass
ceiling of vmware.  Windows, try as hard as it does, is not a real operating
system.  There are some issues with implementation of the TCP/IP stack.  I
only had a problem one time, when running Hunt, it would not do an active
hijack with switch relay under vmware, other than that, it is the way to
go...  By the way, the newest version (3.0) has robust network capability
with virtual DHCP and NAT you can set up virtual switches, hub, and
routers...neat.

allen