Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: firewall question

From: "Michael Starr" <mstarr () ampeisch com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:05:43 -0500

Leon;

The technique you are talking about has been called "reverse telnet", "reverse www exploit", or
"shell shoveling".  Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult to defend against.  However, it does
require that the attacker has the ability to launch the attack from inside your network.  The answer
in this case, is not in the firewall rules sets.  You'd be better off spending your time guarding
against trojan software, and "fairly" benign tools like NetCat (which many virus scanners won't
pick up), and making sure that your internal users aren't conspiring against you.  =8->

M.