Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: GPRS security

From: "Toni Heinonen" <Toni.Heinonen () teleware fi>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:11:06 +0200

Does anybody knows well known threats and vulnerabilities in
the GPRS world
and countermesures ?

I've heard a lot of fuss going lately about operators protecting their core network well from attacks from the
Internet, but forgetting to secure the other end, ie. the mobile station end of the core network. However, I think
there's little risk here as the client's traffic is tunneled through the GPRS core. But it's basically IP traffic, and
a good IP firewall will protect you. There is only one oddity in the GPRS core, and that is the GPRS tunneling
protocol, GTP. It would be nifty to filter on the tunneled packets' headers too or on other GTP-specific information,
but I am not aware of any firewalls that understand GTP. One might however think that the Nokia IP430 (or whatever the
number was) would be capable of filtering on GTP headers, as it does come from a big GPRS network eq. vendor that also
recommends it be used with the GPRS core.

The security of the wireless airway itself is a wholly different question.

TONI HEINONEN
   TELEWARE OY
   Telephone  +358 (9) 3434 9123  *  Fax  +358 (9) 3431 321
   Wireless  +358 40 836 1815
   Kauppakartanonkatu 7, 00930 Helsinki
   toni.heinonen () teleware fi  *  www.teleware.fi

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/