Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Re-opening an old thread: NetWare-Enterprise-Web-Server/5.1 --As sistence requested.

From: C-Foo <c-foo () cox net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:57:16 -0700

Yo,

According to any NetWare 5.1 server (and this might be under previous versions as well) under the sys:perl\perl5.txt file, you can find where the perl scripts reside. You guys are attempting to hit http://address/perl/-v, the address http://address/perl/ actually resides on the NetWare box under Sys:Novonyx\suitespot\docs\perlroot\

Under that directory there is a samples directory that I would recommend get moved or deleted. It contains some sample perl scripts in there that may cause undesired results.

Here is a listing of them that you may want to try if you want to see.

http://address/perl/samples/cardsamp.pl
http://address/perl/samples/echo.pl
http://address/perl/samples/env.pl
http://address/perl/samples/guestboo.pl
http://address/perl/samples/lancgi.pl
http://address/perl/samples/ndslogin.pl
http://address/perl/samples/pizzacgi.pl
http://address/perl/samples/statcgi.pl
http://address/perl/samples/volscgi.pl
http://address/perl/samples/counter/counter.pl
http://address/perl/samples/Database/perlDbGetTables.pl
http://address/perl/samples/Database/perldbquery1.pl
http://address/perl/samples/Database/perldbquery2.pl
http://address/perl/samples/genie/genie.pl
http://address/perl/samples/today/formdate.pl
http://address/perl/samples/today/today.pl
http://address/perl/samples/veryinteresting/veryinteresting.pl

the http://address/perl/-v will not cause any harm that I have seen other than reveal to your users and to the public what OS you are running so they won't have to NMAP -sS -O your DNS name or IP. If you aren't using that directory, place some NDS Lockdown on it, you may want to test moving it or deleting it, but I don't recommend it.

Regards,

C-Foo

Ralph Los wrote:

Hey - let me re-open a thread again, if you folks don't mind.  I've found a
server at one of our pen-test clients with this NetWare HTTP/HTTPS server.
I've been trying to figure out a way to make it tango, but have been having
some problems.  Here's what I've tried and where I left off, maybe someone
can toss some suggestions out.

Attempt:  http://address/perl/-v
Result:         NetWare port Copyright 1998 Novell Corporation.
                All rights reserved.

Attempt: http://address/perl/-h
Result: Page not found

Attempt: http://address/perl/-e%20print%20%22hello%20world%22;
Result: IE just hangs there "DONE"

Attempt: http://address/perl/-e%20print%201;
Result: IE just hangs there "DONE"

So what's up?  Is this box "patched" against this form of attack somehow?
Could someone throw me another idea maybe?

Thanks a bunch.

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/