Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: XP Personal Firewall

From: Jonathan Bloomquist <bocasolutions () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 05:54:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Jeremy Junginger <jjunginger () interactcommerce com>
wrote:
I've come across a few XP hosts that are trying to
be sneaky with the
"Internet Firewall" feature enabled.  I've seen
and ACK scanning while seeing next to nothing on
Nessus.  Also, I am
unable to uncover any additional information about
the hosts and
available services.  Do you have any tips on beating
the XP "firewall?"
Perhaps there is a post in the archives.

-Jeremy

I don't have access to an XP personal firewall to try
it, but you might try specifying a source port for the
scan using nmap's -g switch.  If the firewall doesn't
keep state, you can probably SYN scan through port 20,
21, 53, etc.

=====
Jonathan Bloomquist, CISSP