Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: HTTP PUT exploitation

From: Olasupo Lawal <lawal () lineone net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:43:55 -0600

There area number of things you can do. You can upload cmdasp.asp to the any
folder within the web root which you can pretty much reach through your
browser. One very good folder that I normally use is the images folder.
Cmdasp.asp will give you command line access to the web server using your
browser, giving you the ability to execute commands. The advantage of this
is that if the web server is behind a firewall, then port 80 may most likely
be the only port allowed through to the web server through the firewall. In
this scenario, the firewall cannot protect the mis-configured web server.
However if the web server is not behind a firewall, you may consider loading
a small telnet server like icmd.exe unto the web server, but then you will
still need to start the telnet server on a chosen port, giving you normal
telnet access to the server. icmd.exe enables you to put a password, but it
may not be advisable to run it for too long as it supports multiple sessions
and another attacker may get command line access to the server if they can
crack the password, meaning in the process of testing the web server, the
web server may be hacked. There may legal implications so you may want to
exercise some caution in using a tool like icmd.exe. Hope this information
helps.

regards
Ola