Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: RE: PIX and ttl

From: "Filipe Almeida" <filipe () ist utl pt>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:58:15 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: pen-test-return-93-filipe=ist.utl.pt () securityfocus com
[mailto:pen-
test-return-93-filipe=ist.utl.pt () securityfocus com] On Behalf Of
Fernando
Cardoso
Sent: domingo, 27 de Maio de 2001 21:02
To: jlewis () jasonlewis net
Cc: 'Jacek Lipkowski'; PEN-TEST () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: RE: PIX and ttl

NMAP scans for hosts beyond "stateful aware" firewalls is quite
difficult. The first problem lies in the firewall design. If a packet
is not in the connection table and it's not a SYN packet it is simply
droped. The other problem is TCP options. Most firewalls will drop
those packets also.

In a recent pen-test I realize that Win 2k hosts beyond a PIX, would
only respond to NMAP test #5, the only one that uses a standard SYN,
while if those boxes where outside the filtered network, they would
reply to all 8 tests.

        And if you are using some kind of SynDefender even the SYN
packets may be generated by the firewall, depending on the SynDefender
method you are using.

The work around is break in and NMAP from the internal network ;)

        Another option is to do some research on the possibility of
doing fingerprinting on the other TCP states (ESTABILISHED, FIN_WAIT,
...).
        A method I use to discover windows machines behind a statefull
aware firewall with syndefender is to create ESTABILISHED connections
and analyze the ip.id increments. This analysis can be expanded to other
fields of the packets and other states by doing some research.
        Perhaps a fingerprinting system that uses traces from a tcpdump
session? anyone?

--
Filipe Almeida filipe () rnl ist utl pt
Aka LiquidK