Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Ethical Hacking Courses

From: mht () clark net
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:34:27 -0700

Argghh...

The Ultimate/Ethical Hacking course was originally developed at a former Big N organization and then re-created from scratch at E&Y. The founders of Foundstone who were the authors of the material E&Y again re-created/updated the material from scratch at Foundstone. E&Y and Foundstone had a falling out about the name, so therefore E&Y got to keep the name Ethical Hacking and Foundstone changed their course to Ultimate Hacking.

Material keeps on getting updated to keep up with the latest script kiddies, etc.. "Through the router, through the firewall, into the corporations we go" was tutorial by some of the original writers of the material presented at one of the local security conferences in order to polish up the material before offering the course to the massess.

The course helped acquire the right material and enthusiasm to get the publisher's primed to publish Hacking Exposed and then Hacking Exposed II.

/hope this helps

Anyways, the course currently offered by Foundstone lacks some of the fundamentals on why and where, and history for the reason why security exploits are so abudant in the wild, but offers plenty of hands-on time..

I often wonder why organization don't offer courses like "Impractical Internet Security" or "Useless NT/2000 Security tools that won't help some script kiddie from breaking your web server" Those sound like fun courses to teach.. :)