Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Is ipchains -y secure enough?

From: "Golden_Eternity" <bhodi () bigfoot com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:23:49 -0700

Be sure that the system is set to assemble fragmented packets. I don't know
if ipchains in particular is vulnerable to that problem, but I have heard of
other cases where it was possible to fragment a packet so that the TCP flags
weren't interpreted by the firewall and allowed to pass through.

Also, before you use '! -y', be sure you understand what it does. Since -y
triggers on packets that contain a syn and not ack or fin, the opposite of
that is a packet that contains fin and ack but not syn.

iptables provides much more control over the flags that trigger a rule, but
its still fairly new so that may or may not be an option for you.