Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: What is your policy on customers particapating in a pen test?

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:47:04 -0400 (EDT)

It's their system. As long as they agree to observe...hands free, I don't
see a problem with it. It doesn't hurt to educate the customer either. I'm
not saying you should hand over the source to your own in house tools,
just that it goes a long way towards establishing a relationship with
them. How much you share is obviously at your discretion. Remember, if you
tell everyone everything you know...everyone will know more than you.
There's a fine line between education of a customer and business suicide.
You have to walk carefully along that line, or you could end up with a
customer that thinks that since they sat in on one pen-test...they don't
need you anymore. That might be their goal anyway. You have to be the
judge of that.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security