Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Blind IP spoofing portscan tool?

From: matheny <matheny-pentest () dbaseIV net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:54:21 -0400

Are you thinking of passive network mapping? That's the
closest thing I can think of to what you're talking
about. This manner of portscanning/network mapping requires
that you either already have access to a machine on the same
subnet as the machine you want to map (so you can sniff ISN
info) or the spoofed target has poor ISN generation
capabilities (NT, default solaris, 9x, etc). This method
of 'anonymous' port mapping has been around for some time,
standard technical dificulties associated with IP spoofing
still apply to this method however.
-Blake

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?
In the mailing for the Black Hat briefings, there is
mention of a "blind IP spoofing portscan tool" or
something along those lines. I'm curious about this
tool, what is it's name and what is the mechanism by
which it works? I'd guess that it's something involving
other elements of the IP stack or some tool that uses
a 3rd party system to check IP ID's, sequence
numbers, ICMP responses or something along those
lines.

I'd be interested to know more information, please
share if you have this knowledge.

PS - I'm moving to Chicago soon and looking for a
good security job, anyone got any leads?

Curt Wilson
netw3 () netw3 com