Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: win2k pentest - what can i do?

From: "Ryan Permeh" <ryan () eEye com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:17:48 -0700

everyting that is possible from the graphical swhell is possible from the
command prompt using the proper utilities, what exactly is it that you wish
to do(or more properly: "Where do you want to go today" :)?

as a side, it occurs to me to ask the following of this group:

what level of pentration do you perform in an average test?  do you
penetrate completely?  use this to leverage access across a network? what
"trophy" do you use to prove access?  How do you spell out your level of
penetration to your customers?  do they understand the difference between
"vulnerability assesment" and penetration analysis?

just curious how everyone else chooses to do this....
Signed,
Ryan Permeh
eEye Digital Security Team
http://www.eEye.com/Retina -Network Security Scanner