Penetration Testing mailing list archives

[PEN-TEST] Vulnerabilities within MPLS ??

From: "Ruscher, Mike" <Mike.Ruscher () CSE-CST GC CA>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:42:50 -0500

I am searching for information on vulnerabilities in the Multi-protocol
Label Switching (MPLS) protocol.  I have been unable to gather information
by searching on the common search engines, as the majority of the hits are
related to the RFC's.

I have organized several questions to better understand the subject: Are
there any big holes that could lead to a security compromise?  What is the
difference between MPLS and MPLS VPN?  I realize that plain MPLS does not
provide confidentiality, integrity, and authentication by itself unless it
is used along with IPSec.  How is the route negotiated between the PE's
(provider edge routers)?  Can the route negotiation be compromised in any
manner?  What happens with traffic if one of the PE routers goes offline?

I realize that these are difficult questions and the answers are likely to
be lengthy. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Ruscher
Communications Security Establishment
mgruscher () cse-cst gc ca