Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Novell NetWare security evaluation

From: Simple Nomad <thegnome () NMRC ORG>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:46:22 -0600

We are looking for a security solution which will evaluate the
configuration
of a Novell NetWare environment.  This would include at a minimum:
 evaluating password strengths
 user account configurations
 detecting system weak points
 monitoring for exceptions
 and provide a centralized audit trail of events.

Bindview and Kane Security Analyst I know are the leaders in this area,
does
anyone have an opinion on which is preferable for a large Network? Are
there
any other competitor products you would recommend looking into?  Any
thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

While I am an employee of BindView, I have been recommending their
products for years for Netware, as they are quite thorough and well
thought out. They cover pretty much everything. Actually KSA is still
good, though but there you have it ;-)

However don't forget the freeware tools. Check out
http://www.nmrc.org/pandora and http://www.nmrc.org/files/netware, even if
the files say they are "bindery/IPX-based" and your client is IP with
Netware 5. Using Novell's client on Windows, most of these bindery-based
and IPX-based tools will simply get "wrappered" into IP (chknull is an
excellent example of this). Also check out NCPQuery, which you can get
from http://razor.bindview.com/ in the tools section, if you have a
Netware environment running IP. Most of these freeware tools are intended
to break/crack/hack, but you still might find them useful, particularly
Pandora Offline for testing password strength.

-         Simple Nomad          -     "No rest for the Wicca'd"     -
-      thegnome () nmrc org        -                                   -
-  thegnome () razor bindview com  - www.nmrc.org   razor.bindview.com -