Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Changing MAC address on Win2k

From: Olli Artemjev <olli () METALTELECOM ORG RU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 14:28:07 +0300

Hi.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Hugo Fortier wrote:
Easier than that, linux support mac address change with the ifconfig command
you can specify the mac address you want, it does't work with all card but
must recent network card i tried was working fine.
Did you test MAC adress change with ifconfig with the card that doesn not
support MAC changing? I mean that in my opinion this should work with any
card working with linux. But I had no chance to play with cards that have
no hardware ability to change their MACs. Does ifconfig really can't
change MAC in this case? BTW: with M$ windows 2000 you may easily change
your MAC via usua GUI in network iface properties, even w/o rebooting
AFAIR.

Btw having a "secure" network card that don't allow mac address change is no
logic cause normally you want not to prevent attack from yourself but from
other, and their is no way to ensure that the attacker network card will be
secure...
shure.

<skip>

--