Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] IRC

From: Jason Witty <jason () WITTYS COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:33:23 -0600

What about all of the various trojans that do things like post "Hey world,
100.1.1.1 is infected with SubSeven, Come Hack me!" to #hack or the like?
And the same thing goes for trojans that simply post your IP, FQDN, and NT
SAM file?  What if the next Outlook worm that comes around simply does the
things mentioned above, then copies the contents of c:\My Documents (or the
like) to IRC?

There's many other reasons against it as well - loss in productivity,
proliferation of pirated software, virus infections due to software
downloaded through non-scanned channels, legal liability due to some jerk
hitting on a 14 year old in #teen, etc.  Just some food for thought.  HTH.

Jason