Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Emulating a wireless access point

From: Michael Boman <michael () ayeka dyndns org>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:48:12 +0800

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:46:38PM -0700, Meredith S wrote:

      Actually, it probably has to do w/ the frequency / harmonic resonance of
the phone interfearing w/the AP ... not the proximity. Even if the phone
operates on a different frequency, it can interfere w/ the AP via harmonic
resonance.
      Harmonic Resonance occurs when one of the frequencies is a multiple of the
other. Say your AP operates at 2 hz ( for simplicity sake) and your phone
operates at 4 hz, then every other cycle of the phones frequency will be in
phase w/ the access points.

ASCII Diagra:
|                  x -- sine peak                 As you can see, the sine
waves are prefectly
|      |   |   |   |                Phone         in-phase at 2 and 4 w/
respect to the phone.
|     | | | | | | | |
|        |   |   |   |
|_________________________________ T = 1 sec

|                    x -- sine peak
|          |       |
|     ....| |.....| |.               Access Point
|             | |
|              |
__________________________________ T = 1 sec

      Are there any Ham operators out there that can confirm or deny this?

 -- Meredith Shaebanyan

I am no Ham operator, but I read about this in school (studied
electrioncs, HiFi system and so on). IIRC this is correct, a higher/lower
frequency resonates every 1/2 of the currently frequency at half
the effect.

So lets say we are at 8 Hz originally, you will have your first
set of "ghosts" at 4 rep. 12 Hz at half the original effect.  Second
round of "ghosts" is at 2 and 14 Hz at a 1/4 of the original effect
and so on...

Again, it was over 5 years ago I studied or worked with this stuff.

/Mike

[rest of message truncated to save bandwith]

--
There is no such thing as a system that is secure out of the box.
Tim [Timothy M. Mullen, CIO of AnchorIS.Com] claimed earlier this

-- Jesper M Johansson, Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Information
   Systems at Boston University - during a SANS audio broadcast

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/