Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NetRecon Assessment Tool

From: "Moonen, Ralph" <Moonen.Ralph () KPMG NL>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:24:24 +0200

I would be very curious if others have had this same
experience with the
tool when scanning Class C networks versus scanning ten or so
boxes at a
time.

Although I don't use the tool, I know someone who does, and he
reported many trinoo and other trojan ports open. So I checked
for him and found they were false positives. As far as I can figure,
it is a result of the UDP scanning timeout. When scanning many hosts,
apparently some packets get lost in the traffic, making Netrecon
think the UDP port is open, when in fact it isn't. UDP scanning
can be tricky....

--Ralph

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com