Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] NAT / Stateful Packet Inspection Questions

From: "Loschiavo, Dave" <DLoschiavo () FRCC CC CA US>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:30:59 -0700

How's this for an attack scenario...

Since the firewall is not blocking any outbound traffic (bad move) I would
make an effort to acquire the email addresses of internal users. That
shouldn't be too hard to do if they do business with anyone. Once I had that
I would send HTML email to those addresses and try to exploit this 'feature'
of Windows: http://www.oamk.fi/~jukkao/bugtraq/0003/0171.html. I would then
crack the passwords for the accounts that viewed the email and try to logon
to listening services using those accounts and passwords.

Assumptions:
1. I am able to find a valid email address.
2. HTML mail is not cleaned before it reaches the user.
3. The email client does HTML mail.
4. The email client is residing on a MS OS.
5. The users who read the email have authenticated to an NT domain.
6. The users who read the email have the ability to log on to the listening
services I am trying to access via open firewall ports.

Any comments regarding this method of attack would be greatly appreciated. I
am new to the process of penetration testing.

-dave