Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Promiscuous mode detection

From: "Dunker, Noah" <NDunker () FISHNETSECURITY COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:03:36 -0500

I've personally used AntiSniff (on NT and OpenBSD) and it works very well
if you're in a position to sniff THEIR connection, too... if you're on a
switch or a different segment, it becomes much harder.

I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Hack Proofing Your Network" (or
borrowing a copy) and read chapter 9... Heck, go to Borders and Read
chapter 9 while you sit there... it's not a long chapter, but it has
all sorts of good info on sniffers and their detection... I'll mention
a few here:

Contacting a bizarre host, and sniffing for another machine to DNS-lookup
        that host

Checking for latency (ping time).  compare it's current latency to it's
latency from a known clean state from the same network location (usually
on same segment, or errors are just too frequent)

I could easily recommend:
neped.c
AntiSniff

And some reading...