Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Cost of Penetration Testing

From: Jim Miller <MillerJ () FABSSB COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:36:56 -0500

I couldn't agree with you more.  It is always better to perform an examination with knowledge than to perform a test
without.  However, my objective is to compare the cost of a penetration test already performed with what you-all may
consider to be the market value.  And also, to find a way of gauging the market value of a career in penetration
testing by understanding the market for the same.  It is a considerable effort to gain the knowledge that it takes to
pass the CISSP exam or to be successful at penetration testing.  Before I expend the effort, I want to know what the
prospects are.  I asked a simple question, and no one has yet responded with hours or dollars that it takes to get the
job done.  That in spite of my being fairly accurate with my example.

keydet89 () YAHOO COM 09/12/00 11:45AM >>>
Rather than asking for more information, I'd like to
suggest that you take a different approach to what
you're doing....

First of all, what policies do you have available?  Any
overall corporate vision or guidance regarding
information security or the protection of information
assets?  A good information security plan relies on
the foundation provided by policies.

What procedures, processes, and standards do you
have in place?  Do you have configuration standards
for servers?  How about a documented process for
rolling out changes to either the servers, or the web
content?

What monitoring do you currently have in place?
What logs are being kept, and what's being done with
them?

I would suggest to you that perhaps an internal,
cooperative vulnerability assessment is more in
order.  Such an activity will reveal much more
information than a penetration test...b/c not only will
the assessment (or audit, depending upon your
terminology) review the current configuration of all
network devices...routers, switches, firewalls, web
servers, operating systems...but should also include
a look at your policies and procedures.

The only real purpose of a penetration test is to test
your incident response capability.  If you're looking for
some sort of verification of your "hackerproofness",
don't go with a penetration test...very few companies
do them right.  What you'll get is a determination of
how resistant you are to script kiddies, followed by
the recommendation that you get an internal
vulnerability audit.

Carv