Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] MS-Excel Macro's

From: Steve Parker <steve () FOGHORNSECURITY COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 21:42:48 -0700

You can stop Visual Basic scripts from doing some things by hacking the
registry.

For instance, if a VB script tries to automate an Excel spreadsheet,
it will create an object of type "Excel.Application".   Windows looks to the
registry under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for a key called "Excel.Application".  That
key holds the CLSID for the OLE automation object for Excel.  If that key is
deleted, VB scripts and macros will not be able to use Excel functionality.

I used a similiar technique to thwart email propagation of VB viruses [delete
Outlook.Application].  It's ugly, but effective.

-SHP