Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] How secure is an ISDN line? Fibre Optic TAPs

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:32:46 -0700

--On Tuesday, October 24, 2000 4:36 PM -0500 Peter Gamache <peter () LUNO ORG>
wrote:

I've only had one client who cared about fiberoptic security (it's
outside the reach of most folks these days, and they didn't understand
that their competitors aren't 14-year-olds with 486's) - and I advised
them of a very simple tactic: Put the fiber within a metal pipe, then
fill the pipe with air, under pressure.  Once the pressure is applied and
the pipe sealed, a pressure sensor at either end can easily tell you of a
physical security breach.  I thought of this after the installation, but
an even better idea (to prevent rust within the pipe) is to pressurise
the pipe with pure nitrogen gas instead of air.

Can anyone see a way to get past the nitrogen/pressure sensor defense?

Yup. It's fairly simple to work on a pipe without significantly altering
the pressure - either by using a good sealant, or by enclosing the area
being worked on in a pressurized environment. Of course, this does raise
the bar to how advanced your attacker has to be.

BTW: you _can_ tap fiber without cutting & splicing it. I'm not enough of a
spook to remember the details off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone
on cypherpunks would be happy to elucidate.

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson () taltos org
Queen Trapped in a Butch Body