Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Security Scanner (Commercial vs Freeware)

From: Swen Schisler <sschisler () VIRBUS DE>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:31:10 +0200

Dear Leon and other readers,

With the way exploits are coming out I am sure they
become obsolete within a month or so).

I strongly disagree, look at CERT, there the people stated that 99% of
intrusions are results of known vulnerabilities and/or configuration errors!

http://www.cert.org/present/cert-overview-trends/sld084.htm

And I'm sure that the most are older than 1 month, that's the reason why
older signatures never become so soon obsolete.

I played with a lot of
freeware scanners and I'm not disappointed from them. But you should play with
them too, you will get a feeling. They are free and cannot be weighted vs.
price. Do it. About the commercial products I know nothing, only that the most
vendors supply trial-out versions. Check them too.

At last, I dont like the phrase commercial vs. free, only the abilities of the
scanner are relevant to security not the vendor. My opinion.

Ciao

Swen

--
Swen Schisler                                       Germany
VIRBUS AG                                           Tel.: +49-341/9797407