Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Datacenter Wiring

From: Drew Simonis <simonis () myself com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:14:14 -0400

Tom Litney wrote:

This is a topic that I fear many of us do not take seriously because it is
not a "geek" topic - physical security.
stonewall

(...)

  My initial question was attempting to solicit an opinion from you, the
experts.  Disregarding for a minute the hardware on either side of the wire
and whether all traffic should be encrypted questions but focusing in on
just the physical wire security.  You have been approached by one of your
clients who is building a datacenter.  They are asking your opinion on how
they should wire it to provide the best security against penetration.  Which
method would you recommend?  Are you a wire walker or a wire hider?  And
why?

I suppose I am a wire hider.  I think a nice steel conduit is a heck
of a lot better than any other solution Ive heard.  And get this twist
I've heard about:  presurizing the conduit.  Charge that pipe up with
an inert gas, and if the conduit is broken, for any reason, an alarm is
generated.  I can't think of a more secure way to protect my cables,
can you?