Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] IIS %c1%1c remote command execution

From: Frank Knobbe <FKnobbe () KNOBBEITS COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:19:36 -0500

Keep in mind that these attacks will only work on poorly (or not at all)
secured server. a) don't use default directories and default virtual
directories, and b) with proper ACL's set on all files and dirs this
exploit won't work. The exploit basically gives you access to files (i.e.
cmd.exe). If these aren't there, or properly secured, the exploit won't
work. I had tested it against a few of my machines, and was not able to do
anything (I guess that's a good thing... :)

Then again, I'm running IIS 3.0 because 4.0 and 5.0 have just way too many
bugs :)

Regards,
Frank